Friday, October 4, 2013

Brotherly Love: A Personal Statement in Progress

            As I plopped down to do my homework after an exhausting day full of school and sports, my brother cheerfully shuffled up to me with a light in his eyes.  I looked up to see him standing there, hands behind his back, trying to suppress a smile.  I was not in any mood to interact with him or even talk to anyone at that point and was going to tell him I had a lot of homework and things I had to do when he quickly pulled his hands from behind his back revealing a plush Pokémon character and five key chains of characters from the movie Totoro.  “I bought them from China for five dollars!” he exclaimed earnestly.  My mom sighed and laughed and proceeded to tell him that it is not necessary to announce details like that in the future.   I did not know what the Pokémon was, having not watched our favorite childhood television program in years, but it brought me great joy and a smile to my lips.  I gave him a hug and said thank you, and he sauntered away, humming some video game music.

            My older brother, Colby, was diagnosed with mild autism at a young age.  As his little sister, I did not fully understand what this meant until our later years growing up.  It does not affect him so much that you can tell just by looking at him that he has autism, but he has a difficult time discerning appropriate times for certain behaviors and picking up on unspoken social etiquette.  It hasn't been easy all the time, but he brings immense joy and variety into my family.

Throughout everything, he is always there.  Like constant in my life, he has always there to support me in everything I did ranging from dance recitals, to academic award assemblies, to the countless volleyball tournaments over these past five years.  No matter the outcome, he is always there to give me a pat on the shoulder and tell me “Great job Hannio”. 

His constant love has also shown me the most innocent heart that I have beheld, being torn and conflicted by the insensitive attitudes of those around him.  Without his sensitive spirit, I most likely would not have even noticed these small things such as harmful words that bother him so much.  His sensitivity has impacted me and I am now aware of the power of words and want to see the best in everyone, no matter what the circumstances.  I feel like I have been introduced to a whole new aspect of life that I wish more people could witness; but then come the hard days.

            I have a distinct memory in my mind of Colby sitting at the computer, staring at a blank Word Document for hours upon hours, trying to write an essay.  His condition made it especially challenging to express himself through words and analyze deeper implications in works of literature.  But year after year, he worked at it, and through countless hours of help from our Dad, he overcame his struggle and is now one of the most affluent writers I know.  The day he received a perfect score on an essay he wrote with absolutely no help was like a dream come true for our family.  By example, he has taught me to persevere through hardships and has shown me what hard work and dedication can do.  I desire to strive and succeed in whatever I do, using the gifts and abilities given to me to their full potential.

            Watching my brother struggle and flourish has softened my heart to care for those around me and has motivated me to work hard at everything I do. No matter what the outcome, I know that he, and my family, will always be there to affirm their love for me and say “Great job, Hanna”. 



Word Count: 647 :)
Please feel free to comment on anything to revise or fix, and even things you would want to see in this essay! Feedback would be very helpful. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment