Friday, November 15, 2013

Don't Kill the Messenger

I am not the first to be concerned about being the bearer of bad news.  As the blind prophet, here solely to serve "our king and benefactor" (154), I come to offer my counsel as I receive messages from above. I have never once led him astray and he has "so far steered a steady course (152).  Oh, Creon! How he must have fallen to resort to such behavior as this!  I had previously warned him as well, cautioning that he stood "on razor's edge (152), yet he proceeded to deny the divination I received, too stubborn and proud to listen to the voice of the gods! It is not me who declares these words! "..all men fall into sin.  But sinning, he is not for ever lost/hapless and helpless, who can make amends and has not set his face against repentance. Only a fool is governed by self-will" (153).  My words are only to help Creon, not offend him (153).  Why doesn't he understand this?

Creon, how I wish he considered my message.  Instead, he claimed "my divination false" (154).  He even attacked my position as prophet, and I am now inclined to believe that "all kings...seek gain unrighteously (154).  I tried to warn him again and again. Teiresias, his trusted counselor!  I had hoped it would not come revealing the tragic prophecy I had heard, but alas, he would not heed the divine guidance.  At that point it wast too late and all was lost.  Nothing could alter this.  "The gods themselves [could not] do it" (155).  Creon, our king, brought this upon himself.  There was nothing more I could do as a counselor and nothing more our leader wanted to hear.  Now the entire city and "neighboring city will be goaded to fury against [him], for upon them too the pollution falls when the dogs and vultures bring defilement of blood to their hearths and altars" (155).  This is one case where I desire to say I could be mistaken, but the gods have revealed this to me, and that is how it shall be.

5 comments:

  1. Hey! So you used the structure of your two paragraphs in a very effective way. There seems to be a transition in Teiresias's character between the two which serves as a well structured post in demonstrating the dichotomy or at least the complexity of his personality. In the first paragraph, I got the sense that the prophet seemed less sympathetic towards Creon almost as if after years of dealing with people not listening to him, Teiresias became jaded and simply had to accept circumstances. However your rhetorical question at the end of the first paragraph reveals a transition. The second paragraph is more lamenting, and the final phrase demonstrates that the job of being the prophet is taxing, and that he would rather appeal to human emotion rather than to universal fate. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is great Hanna! I love how you made it sound like he had to deal with so many more people before Creon! it was really great! Your title was really great as well! Way to use a cliche for your purpose!! Overall really great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I especially love how you made the title just as powerful as the rest of your argument. Being killed for bearing bad news was not uncommon in the ancient world. Tiresias really had a rough job, but what other employment opportunities are there for a blind guy who can see the future? He was stuck relaying dismal and divine messages to bunch of ungrateful ignorant despots. I've always found Tiresias to be a boring and one-sided character but now I can totally understand how frustrating and potentially dangerous his profession must have been.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I wonder if, post play, Teresias would have felt some bitter degree of smug satisfaction. "See? I told you so." But your characterization of Teresias is more woebegone-- I get the sense that what he'd really like to do is just retire and have someone rub his bunions next to the fire. But-- like Sonia points out-- what other job is there for a blind guy who can see the future? Ha! That made me laugh. Keaton's comment also provided some great observations regarding your tone shifts and the resulting combination of both frustration and sincere grief. Nice job chickie.
    15/15

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really, really, REALLY love the title. It fits so perfectly. The development shown through the two different paragraphs is very well put. I can totally see the two contradicting views within them. At first he's just like "yup. Fates a jerk. Live with it." and then following, it shows the true caring side of the prophet. I really enjoyed it. Great job Hannnnnnaaaa :D

    ReplyDelete